[Eeglablist] Cluster-based permutation tests for 3 conditions

Stephen Politzer-Ahles politzerahless at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 19:32:09 PDT 2017

As far as I understand, double-dipping (in the form of non-independent
analysis, e.g. Baker, Hutchison, & Kanwisher 2007) is when you use the same
test statistic to identify an analysis region and to test it. e.g., if you
do a cluster-based permutation t-test, find a p=.2 cluster, and then do a
regular t-test on the average activation within that cluster and get
p=.00001, that's double-dipping. Using a different analysis to identify a
cluster than what you look at within the cluster is not double-dipping ---
e.g., you can use some control manipulation to identify a cluster, and then
look at the manipulation of interest just within this cluster. The issue
described above is I guess kind of halfway in between, so I'm not totally
sure. Using an omnibus F-test to find a cluster and then testing the
pairwise comparisons in it is not using the exact same test twice; on the
other hand, though, the F-test is not totally independent of the pairwise
comparisons within it. My intuition is that it should be ok to look at
these pairwise comparisons as long as your interpretation of them is "there
was a significant omnibus ANOVA effect *and it was driven by a difference
between these conditions*", rather than saying directly "there was a
difference between these conditions" (because the latter is technically not
what was tested in the cluster-based permutation test). I have done this
before and gotten away with it (although that doesn't mean it's right; all
kinds of bad stats stuff gets published, maybe my analysis was more of
that). I'd be interested learn what others think.

---
Stephen Politzer-Ahles
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
Department of Chinese and Bilingual Studies
http://www.mypolyuweb.hk/~sjpolit/
<http://www.nyu.edu/projects/politzer-ahles/>