[Eeglablist] Support for EEGLAB

Stephen Politzer-Ahles politzerahless at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 15:26:03 PDT 2017

I'm not sure if it's possible to add event markers themselves. As far as I
understand, importing event info from a Presentation or other log file is
importing information about events that are already present; there needs to
already be at least one event marker in the EEG data file in order to align
them. In the typical kind of lab setup (at least what I'm familiar with),
one computer handles stimulus presentation and another handles EEG data
acquisition. So typically, the experimenter clicks a button to start EEG
recording, then walks over to another computer and clicks a button to start
the experiment going. This means that an event occurring, e.g., 5 seconds
into the Presentation logfile might be 10 or 15 or something seconds into
the EEG data; there's no way to know how to line these up unless you know
exactly how much time difference there is between the onset of the EEG and
the onset of the Presentation logfile. Usually this is handled by having
Presentation send at least one event marker directly into the EEG data. If
you don't have that, I'm not aware of a way to meaningfully add new event
markers, because you would have no way of knowing when the events really
occurred.

---
Stephen Politzer-Ahles
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
Department of Chinese and Bilingual Studies
http://www.mypolyuweb.hk/~sjpolit/
<http://www.nyu.edu/projects/politzer-ahles/>