[Eeglablist] Per-trial channel interpolation and ICA?

Tarik S Bel-Bahar tarikbelbahar at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 14:42:43 PDT 2018

​Hi Eric,

Interpolating before ICA indeed will feed it some "non-original" data. Thus
the general routine from the ICA-EEG camp is to not interpolate before ICA,
neither across the file or within single trials.

Note also some researchers reref before ICA, and some after. My
understanding is that the rank issue is connected to the reref step too.

Your intuition is probably correct that rank changes within single trials
due to interpolating bad channels within single trials, but let's wait to
hear from some experts.
Presumably one would need to correct for adjusted rank on a trial by trial
basis perhaps?

Have you considered running ICA first with only worst channels and worst
periods removed, and then running ICA, and then doing doing ICA cleaning,
and then attempting individual trial bad-channeling ?

Have you reviewed how your results actually differ when doing ICA on files
that have had bad channels interpolated within single trials before ICA ?

Also, I think the per-trial bad-channelling procedure was developed before
ICA was a dominant force for EEG analyses. It certainly is a way to "keep
more original data" rather than throwing out channels from across the whole
record just because they are bad in some locations.

You may have noticed a recent plugin for eeglab (maybe it came from you?)
that does single-trial bad channel detection and/or interpolation?

Looking forward to hearing about how you resolve this issue. It will
certainly help other users on the list to know how you get on.

Cheers!

​