[Eeglablist] PCA reduces the quality of subsequent ICA

Artoni Fiorenzo fiorenzo.artoni at epfl.ch
Mon Apr 23 01:24:24 PDT 2018

Dear list,

I wish to share this recent result that I believe may help avoiding pitfalls in EEG preprocessing pipelines.

In short, we discovered that PCA dimension reduction of EEG will likely decrease the quality of your subsequent ICA decomposition.

You can find more details in the paper

"Artoni, Fiorenzo, Arnaud Delorme, and Scott Makeig. "Applying dimension reduction to EEG data by Principal Component Analysis reduces the quality of its subsequent Independent Component decomposition." NeuroImage 175 (2018): 176-187."

Elsevier makes it possible to download the paper for free (regardless of subscription to NeuroImage) until May 29 at this link:

https://authors.elsevier.com/a/1WsOL3lc~r3Ek-

Best,

Fiorenzo