[Eeglablist] permutation and FDR

Ramtin Mehraram (Student) R.Mehraram2 at newcastle.ac.uk
Mon Jun 11 07:24:46 PDT 2018

Dear Szilvia,

To my knowledge, the permutation-based statistics "corrects" for non-normal sample distribution. This allows you to use parametric tests (such as t-test) with any sample distribution. It does not correct for multiple comparisons.

The false discovery rate (FDR) is not very conservative as Bonferroni is. FDR is usually recommended whether you have huge amount of data (like genetic data) or in exploratory stage of your study. A more "strict" correction is recommended when finalizing the obtained results.

A good variant of the Bonferroni correction is the Holm-Bonferroni, which is slightly more powerful.

I hope this helps.

B.

Ramtin Mehraram
PhD Student @ramtinTVT