[Eeglablist] fastICA and spatial correlation

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Mon Jul 2 15:12:16 PDT 2018

Dear Norman,

It's my turn to answer here in July. I'm an oldbie.

> My aim is to run ICA on a corrected EEG data set (data(1:64;1:30000))
using fastICA (I guess fastICA was the only function enabling me to adjust
the number of IC’s (?))  - computing only 10 components – in order to
remove eye movements.

This is wrong.

runica() default algorithm informax can be used with an option 'pca' which
is to reduce data dimension to an arbitrary number such as 10 (Note that
'pca' does NOT mean to run PCA instead of ICA!)

> The output I get from fastICA are: icasig (10 x 30000 matrix), A (63 x 10
matrix) and W (10 x 63 matrix). Now I want to reject components that
contain artifacts by finding a spatial correlation between the components
from fastICA results and a template (1x63 matrix) and if the max cross
correlation value is > 0.7 it should reject the components and reconstruct
the data.

My problem is that I have absolutely no idea how to start and proceed with
the matrices I have.

Through EEGLAB GUI, you can reject components while visually examining
their scalp maps, power spectral density, ERPimage, etc.
If you choose the first component to reject, it means you are rejecting the
first raw of EEG.icawinv (i.e., A). You can also perform regression with
the first IC's activation against whatever time series (ground truth of
blink, such as EOG channel activity I guess?) to test > 0.7 correlation to
make the decision--but you have to do this calculation outside EEGLAB.

Makoto