[Eeglablist] Changing event markers in dataset

Scott Makeig smakeig at ucsd.edu
Tue Jul 17 14:02:13 PDT 2018

Edwige - IN EEGLAB there are two ways of further specifying event
characteristics -- either create more event codes OR use event fields.
So, here your word(?) events could be given a *sentence_type* field
(*event.sentence_type
= 'active').*

Else, you might explore use of the HED tools - which are included in
EEGLAB, I believe in the miscellaneous functions folder -- Arno ??   The
HED system is far superior to the simple event code system in that it is
meant to store as much info as possible about each event in a form that is
both human readable and machine searchable... We look to move HED event
tagging into the EEGLAB core soon, but its tools are available for
script-based exploration.

Scott Makeig

On Fri, Jul 13, 2018 at 9:50 AM, E. Sijyeniyo <e.sijyeniyo at student.rug.nl>
wrote:

> Dear EEGlab users,
>
> I have a question regarding changing event markers in my dataset.
>
> Initially, I recorded my data with the following markers:
>
> Active condition:
> Prime sentence: 40, 9, 13, 17, 21, 25, 29
> Target sentence: 45, 9, 13, 17, 21, 25, 29
>

> Passive condition
> Prime sentence: 40, 8, 12, 16, 20, 24, 30
> Target sentence: 45, 8, 12, 16, 20, 24, 30
>

> However, only the first trigger distinguishes both sentences, so only 40
> and 45. I am wondering whether I can change the other triggers so that they
> are distinguishable too. In this way, I can compare, for example, the
> target words in one particular condition with each other because they would
> have different event markers. For instance, in the active condition, the
> target word is marked with 17 in the prime sentence as well as in the
> target sentence, I am not sure if Matlab would be able to distinguish them
> (I assume not).
>
> So I would want to change them into something like:
>
> Active condition:
> Prime sentence: 40, 9, 13, 17, 21, 25, 29
> Target sentence: 45, 23, 33, 43, 53, 63, 73
>
> Passive condition:
> Prime sentence: 55, 8, 12, 16, 20, 24, 30
> Target sentence: 60, 26, 36, 46, 56, 66, 76
>
> Does anyone know how I can change event markers in my dataset?
>
> Thank you so much for anyone who responds!
>
> Best
> Edwige
> P.s As I am a master student, this is my first ever EEG study and during
> the design of my experiment these differences between triggers coding did
> not occur to me...
> ucsd.edu

Scott Makeig, Research Scientist and Director, Swartz Center for
Computational Neuroscience, Institute for Neural Computation, University of
California San Diego, La Jolla CA 92093-0961, http://sccn.ucsd.edu/~scott