[Eeglablist] Warning: change STUDY design

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Wed Jul 18 11:37:48 PDT 2018

Dear Jet,

> ICA has been performed for the two datasets separately.

Good.
The basic rule is that removing an electrode cap and new ICA is necessary,
unless you can replicate the original cap/electrode location with
sub-millimeter precision.
https://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/Makoto's_preprocessing_pipeline#General_tips_for_performing_ICA_.2806.2F26.2F2018_updated.29

> I understand that that is why I get to see the warning I mentioned.

There is EEGLAB 'session' which, I believe, is supposed to use 'same
subject but different capping'. However, I often simply regard the same
subject different sessions as different subjects. This way you can avoid
troubles you experienced.

> Should this be possible?

No. You can't 'merge' different sessions (i.e., different capping) from the
same subject. EEGLAB's 'merge' only works if and only if ICA-related
matrices are shared and identical (i.e.,  paired t-test is possible).

> However, since the two datasets have been aqcuired on two separate days I
understand that ICA analyses should be performed on the datasets
separately.

You should treat them as if the data were from different subjects (i.e.,
you have to use two-sample t-test)

Makoto