[Eeglablist] When to select Additive Baseline in ERSP Study Function?

Arnaud Delorme arno at ucsd.edu
Wed Jul 18 18:30:00 PDT 2018

In one case, if you calculate ERSP using (post-stimulus uV^2/Hz)/mean_across_time(pre-stimulus uV^2/Hz) this is a divisive baseline (gain model). In the other one you do  ERSP(post-stimulus uV^2/Hz) - mean_across_time(pre-stimulus uV^2/Hz). This is an additive model.

In case of the checkbox for plotting ERSP, the additive baseline means that the different conditions' baseline is averaged and then subtracted from each of the ERSP condition (independently for each individual subject). So this is using the second additive model. This limitation will be removed in EEGLAB 15 where the type of common baseline used is the same as the one you have used to compute each condition ERSP (may be gain model or additive model).

Best wishes,

Arno