[Eeglablist] Channels for ICA

Giatsidis, Fabio fabio_giatsidis at brown.edu
Wed Jul 18 12:18:10 PDT 2018

 Hello EEGLAB list,

I have a (probably naive) question regarding ICA.
I have been using an EGI 128-channel system to record resting states. I
have been reading a bit about ICA, but it is still not clear to me:
- whether I should or not choose the whole 128 channel set for running ICA,
and
- consequently, how I should *a priori* decide which channels to consider
for ICA and which not.

The recordings are ~2 minutes long and the sampling rate is 1000 Hz. I
would like to keep as many channels as possible during pre-processing, and
afterwards discard the ones I realize are not useful to my analysis - if
this approach seems reasonable.

Also:
- if as a very first step I delete some clearly bad channels and then
interpolate them to repopulate the original channel set, is it legit to
include such interpolated channels during ICA?

Thank you very much!
Best,
-Fabio

*Fabio Giatsidis, M.D.*
Resident in Neurology - University of Rome "Tor Vergata" - Rome, Italy
Post-doctoral research fellow - Brown University - Providence, RI, USA