[Eeglablist] Channels for ICA

Tarik S Bel-Bahar tarikbelbahar at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 08:33:48 PDT 2018

​Hi Fabio, some notes below!

-you can take/use all 128 channels if you wish, some researchers cut off
the lowest channels across the head to reduce noise from face and neck.
Would bring you closer to 90 channels, and would remove the fuller coverage
of the head that the 128 channels provide.
-one usually puts into ICA whatever channels are not marked as
bad/dirty/noisy.
-for good ica, one does not want large patches of the montage to be missing
electrodes because of a "too-heavy" bad channel procedure, so there are
trade-offs in taking more or less channels.
-interpolation of bad channels before ICA is not recommended, as it adds
"extra info" into the data. Better to interpolate after ICA if you have to.
Remember that once you are working with ICs you have gone beyond channels,
and can focus on the ICs.
-after data has bad ICs removed, one can of course look at channels of
interest
-see makoto's pipeline, eeglab tutorial, and past eeglablist discussion on
this topic
-consider reviewing other approaches for ICA focusing on specific bands or
using different techniques including wavelets.

​

On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 2:18 PM, Giatsidis, Fabio <fabio_giatsidis at brown.edu