[Eeglablist] How to reduce the number of events in the EEG data

Stephen Politzer-Ahles politzerahless at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 08:03:35 PDT 2018

I don't think it would be appropriate to just randomly delete events. The
mismatch in event numbers is indicative of some kind of error, so you
should look at your data to try to figure out what the problem is. It's
possible that some extra non-stimulus events were inserted (e.g., "boundary
events" from stopping and restarting the recording, or maybe responses were
accidentally logged as events) or maybe your recording started early or
late (e.g., if you ran a few trials of the experiment before realizing
there was a problem with the audio or video, then stopped the experiment
control file and started it over again, without starting a new EEG
recording -- I have made that mistake before). In any case, the first step
should be to explore your data and try to figure out where the problem is,
so that you have a better idea of what events you need to get rid of or
ignore.

---
Stephen Politzer-Ahles
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
Department of Chinese and Bilingual Studies
http://www.mypolyuweb.hk/~sjpolit/
<http://www.nyu.edu/projects/politzer-ahles/>