[Eeglablist] How to reduce the number of events in the EEG data

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Tue Jul 31 10:34:33 PDT 2018

Dear Achint,

Stephen's reply is very important, you want to check what is wrong with
your data first.
I also had an experience of processing data with ~10k events. Loading this
data took me such a long time in my environment... but I did not see any
noticeable errors. I wonder if just having many number of events can cause
an error, I have never heard of the problem.

That being said, if you want to delete selective events, see this wiki page
first
https://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/Makoto's_useful_EEGLAB_code#How_to_change_event_type_names

% Rename event type name 'example1' into 'example2'
allEvents = {EEG.event.type}';
example1Idx = strcmp(allEvents, 'example1');
[EEG.event(example1Idx).type] = deal('example2');

Modify this code in the following way

% Delete events with type name 'stimulusX'
allEvents = {EEG.event.type}';
example1Idx = strcmp(allEvents, 'stimulusX');
EEG.event(example1Idx = [];

This code is to delete all the events whose name is 'stimulusX'. You can
use this solution to test your hypothesis: too many events should cause the
error. Let us know what happens.

Makoto