[Eeglablist] Combine EEG and MRI data for identification of channels of interest/connectivity analysis

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Wed Jul 25 12:07:13 PDT 2018

Dear Fabio,

> - is it technically possible to use MRI scans that have already been
pre-processed into MNI space?

Yes, why not. If necessary, you can back-transform to individual space. SPM
generates these forward-backward transform matrix.

> - if so, what is the best way to achieve the EEG-MRI coupling?

If you mean channel locationis coregistration, you still need to 'digitize'
i.e., measure spatial locations of the scalp electrode using a special
devise; see also my colleague's recent work to do it using a ipad with a
lazer scanner, https://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/Get_chanlocs

> - does all of the above seem reasonable, or given my situation (find the
electrodes above the area of interest and in parallel start do connectivity
analysis in pathological recordings) it would be better to use another
approach?

Unfortunately I have rather a pessimistic opinion on EEG's spatial
locations even with these inputs for the following reasons.

   1. Head's electric forward model is still very simple. For example,
   standard models do not have blood vessels yet (See Fiedeler et al., 2016
   NeuroImage)
   2. Skull's electric conductivity has unknown individual differences, and
   it could vary up to three times (See Akalin Acar et al., 2015 or around...
   so called 'SCALE' paper)
   3. The results heavily depends on what algorithm you use.

After all, EEG is not MRI, in the sense that with MRI you can perform MR
microscopy, but even with 10,000 EEG channels you cannot perform EEG
microscopy. You should think about this fundamental difference carefully if
you haven't done so.

Makoto