[Eeglablist] Combine EEG and MRI data for identification of channels of interest/connectivity analysis

Giatsidis, Fabio fabio_giatsidis at brown.edu
Wed Jul 18 11:59:09 PDT 2018

Hello EEGLAB list,

I have been using EEGLAB in the past few months to do some spectral
analysis on pathological EEGs, but I now need to couple these with the MRIs
of the respective patients, in order to both pinpoint/identify only the
electrodes above the areas of interest and start performing some
connectivity analysis.
Additional notes:
1) the EEGs were recorded using EGI 128-channel HydroCel caps, and are
resting states only,
2) the MRI scans were already converted to MNI space (and lesions marked)
before the EEGs were recorded,
3) I cannot go back to the original images and redo the above due to
technical and time limitations.

I have read a bit about NFT, Fieldtrip and SPM12, but all of these seem to
assume that one has to start from the raw images (which I currently cannot
do, see point 3).

My questions would then be:
- is it technically possible to use MRI scans that have already been
pre-processed into MNI space?
- if so, what is the best way to achieve the EEG-MRI coupling?
- does all of the above seem reasonable, or given my situation (find the
electrodes above the area of interest and in parallel start do connectivity
analysis in pathological recordings) it would be better to use another
approach?

Thank you very much for all your help!
Best,
-Fabio

*Fabio Giatsidis, M.D.*
Resident in Neurology - University of Rome "Tor Vergata" - Rome, Italy
Post-doctoral research fellow - Brown University - Providence, RI, USA