[Eeglablist] Channels for ICA

Giatsidis, Fabio fabio_giatsidis at brown.edu
Tue Jul 31 21:51:24 PDT 2018

Thank you Tarik and Makoto for your precious suggestions!

Actually, I should have clarified that the 2-minutes recordings are
segments from a single 10-minute EEG recording, and the patient was asked
to do different things every 2 minutes (keep eyes open, keep eyes closed,
etc.). I thought that chunking the continuous recording in small,
task-specific sub-recording before start cleaning each sub-recording would
have made better sense. But given your answers, a new question comes to my
mind:
- let's assume I first cut down arbitrarily the number of channels to ~100
or less as per Tarik's suggestion (i.e. excluding those around the ears,
etc. that are of little help anyway). Can I run ICA on the 10-minute
continuous recording (even if different "states" happen every 2 minutes) so
that I have enough data points (sqrt(500 Hz x 600 sec / 30) = 100), and *then
*do my chunking? Or is this approach invalid because of the variance in the
tasks that are asked every 2 min?

Sorry for the confusion, I'm just trying to make the most sense out of what
I have and to not make missteps! Thank you immensely for all your help!
-Fabio

*Fabio Giatsidis, M.D.*
Resident in Neurology - University of Rome "Tor Vergata" - Rome, Italy
Post-doctoral research fellow - Brown University - Providence, RI, USA