[Eeglablist] Channels for ICA

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Wed Aug 1 11:02:29 PDT 2018

Dear Fabio,

I will disappear from the list until November (others in the lab will
answer instead), so this is my last response to you on this issue.

> Can I run ICA on the 10-minute continuous recording (even if different
"states" happen every 2 minutes) so that I have enough data points
(sqrt(500 Hz x 600 sec / 30) = 100), and *then *do my chunking?

Technically yes.

> Or is this approach invalid because of the variance in the tasks that are
asked every 2 min?

VERY good point! Such variance difference across task (blocks) is called
non-stationarity. ICA's assumption is data be stationary. So theoretically
speaking you are violating (better to say 'undermining') the assumption of
stationarity. Addressing data non-stationarity is one of the most difficult
problem in data processing. As far as I know, there is no established ICA
preprorcessing pipeline there, although the fully-functional code of
multi-model adaptive-mixture ICA has been there for ten years! We just
don't know how to integrate the multiple models in a useful way.

In most cases, however, using single-model (i.e., standard) ICA across
different tasks is fine. My explanation for this is that in EEG occipital
alpha is always loud (show high amplitude), so is central mu, etc... these
loud member's behaviors are more or less the same across many types of
cognitive experiments because they respond to very general cognitive
function such as attention and moving/not moving etc. You also want to
remember that ICA is biased to high-amplitude activities.

In practice, if I were you, yes I would concatenate all the blocks to run a
single ICA, then make comparison on both across the block-separated
conditions and within-block conditions.

Makoto