[Eeglablist] Choosing block size for Infomax ICA algorithm

周云晖 yhzhou17 at fudan.edu.cn
Thu Sep 20 07:51:20 PDT 2018

Hi,

When I checked the code of runica.m, I found that there are two choices of block size in the algorithm:

% heuristic default - may need adjustment
%   for large or tiny data sets!

DEFAULT_BLOCK        = floor(sqrt(frames/4));  % heuristic default
DEFAULT_BLOCK          = ceil(min(5*log(frames),0.3*frames)); % heuristic

and by default the second one is used. I have tried using the first one to a the sample dataset inside EEGLAB, and keep the random number generator to a fixed seed, and it seems that the two blocks produce quite different results. The topography of top 10 major ICs changed, not just different order, or sign flip. Given that rejecting ICs can grossly changed the raw data, I wonder are there any *scientific guide* to choose the block size? Or is it a "dark area" where nobody bothers to explore?

The comments says different block size may suit different data size, but it is not clear whether I should use larger or smaller blocks for a larger dataset, and what kind of dataset can be considered "large".

Best,

Yunhui Zhou