[Eeglablist] Choosing block size for Infomax ICA algorithm

Andreas Widmann widmann at uni-leipzig.de
Thu Sep 27 08:40:58 PDT 2018

Hi,

Not really an answer to your question but to my understanding there is at least one misconception:

>  keep the random number generator to a fixed seed, and it seems that the two blocks produce quite different results
If you change block size you do actually reintroduce the randomness you intended to avoid by using a fixed seed. Data are shuffled first. Depending on block length different data enter the block level operations (adjustment of weights, computation of kurtosis etc.) resulting in different final weights. I would, however, not expect any *systematic* effects of increasing or decreasing block size but rather similar effects as if changing the seed (which can indeed be considerable but shouldn’t be systematic).

Best,
Andreas