[Eeglablist] Calculating to determine the most dominant frequency in a specific period

Tarik S Bel-Bahar tarikbelbahar at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 13:35:13 PDT 2018

Hello Ihshan, brief notes below.

1. One can make different .set files containing only one kind of sections
/conditons and not others, for each single subject. Then load them into
eeglab study, clearly defining which conditions are which in the Study gui.
Then use the study GUI to calculate channel metrics, and to visualize/show
the power for different conditions. Stats comparisons between conditions
for any of the computed EEG metrics are available via the study function.
If you are new to study, download the eeglab tutorial data (the full study
data) and explore that data via the study GUI. If you're not sure where to
find into about eeglab STUDY, try googling "eeglab study tutorial"
In other words: you need to have different files that contain one kind of
condition, and other files that contain another kind of condition, etc..,
and then make a study with those files, which will allow you to compare
spectral power across your sections/conditions.
Note also, if you want to try it, that the new updated STUDY allows loading
full files, and it can create different conditions based on event
information in the data you load in.

2. Basic theory/facts about spectral power involves the Power law (low
frequencies are much larger than higher frequencies). If you google the
topic on Google or google scholar, you will find a range of online
resources, such as, for example, Mike X. Cohen's teaching site for
time-frequency/EEG, and also, as another example, brief overviews such as
those from Voytek lab:
*http://voyteklab.com/interpreting-the-electrophysiological-power-spectrum/
<http://voyteklab.com/interpreting-the-electrophysiological-power-spectrum/>*
Basic handbooks of EEG have chapters regarding spectral computation and
characteristics. For example, the Luck handbook, and the Mike X Cohen
handbook.

Regarding the code you found on Makoto's site, it's giving you absolute
power , in the second part, as per the comments in the code from Makoto. In
the first part, what's it doing is simply reading the output of the
spectopo function. Note that when one looks at the original output of the
spectopo function it is already "logged" in the way that you see in the
spectral plots (the main eeglab spectral plots do not show absolute power,
so that's is easier to see power in higher frequency bands).  Som try not
using the second part of Makoto's code, the part which transforms the logged
spectopo output back to absolute power.

For comparing between bands, a method often used is computing relative
power,

If you have not had a chance to, remember to review high-quality EEG
articles that do analysis simialr to the ones you are trying (comparing
"strength" of bands between "conditions")

Note that when one compares between different conditions, there should be
about the same amount of data/time/epochs per participant and per condition,
and it should all be cleaned/preprocessed correctly before computing
metrics.

ps. dominant band is usually alpha - it predominates in the EEG signal,
althgouh all other bands are important too.