[Eeglablist] Unofficial Pre-Workshop Meeting

Dr. Michael Villanueva mvillanueva at alphathetacenter.com
Sat Oct 6 13:21:01 PDT 2018

Hello EEGLAB listserv

I am posting our notice for a working pre-meeting to EEGLAB workshop.
The registration link follows this announcement:
If you are a non-engineer attending EEGLAB for the first time, we invite you to read our offering.

Thank you
Michael Villanueva

****
Unofficial pre-meeting for EEGLAB workshop by Alpha Theta Center: Preparing basic set-ups, terms used, and concepts
When: November 7th 2018 1pm - 6pm.

Where: Alpha Theta Center, Inc., 10505 Sorrento Valley Rd Suite 150, San Diego, CA 92121

Intention: Lessen fear, reduce intimidation, and enable learning for those who will attend Swartz Center for Computational Neuroscience (SCCN)'s EEGLAB Workshop November 8th - 12th

Intended Audience: Anyone with limited or no mathematical / engineering backgrounds who will attend SCCN's EEGLAB Workshop.

Registration: 25$US a person (light snacks, beverages, rental space). Seating is limited to 15 attendees. Please note: No refunds are given.

Requirements:
1. Personal Laptop
2. Extension Cord
3. MATLAB (2017b) installed. By installed, we mean downloaded and licensed. Please do not attend with a license dependent on an active internet connection. You do not need MATLAB toolboxes. Instruction can be found here: https://www.mathworks.com/help/install/index.html
4. EEGLAB installed. Although plugins are available, none are needed to attend. Link for installing EEGLAB: https://sccn.ucsd.edu/eeglab/downloadtoolbox.php

Overview
We will help participants install EEGLAB and MATLAB with correctly set paths. We will discuss definitions critical to understanding how independent component analysis (ICA) works - we will discuss its strengths and weaknesses. Concepts like independence, stationarity, orthogonality, spatial filter are alien to many non-engineers; however, collectively, they form the keystone in understanding ICA. You will learn why computational neuroscientists and engineers pre-process EEG data, why filters are used, why we re-reference, and why the log and decibel scales are so ubiquitous in numerous neuroscience publications. For some in neurofeedback, our scientific foundation is weak since some of us, in lieu of rigorous scientific training, accepted metaphorical explanations of brain dynamics during vendor-based training.  Content will flow from (a) hands on installations of software, to (b) words and concepts, (c) followed by a walk-through of different graphs engineers use (think of this section like a visual thesaurus). Interactive discussion is encouraged throughout since content may conflict with pre-existing assumptions about brain dynamics. We will conclude with a brief overview of coding scripts in MATLAB. We start at 1pm and end no later than 6pm.

Wherefore Why?
Because our workshop is the workshop I wished I attended prior to my first EEGLAB.

My name is Michael Villanueva, my PhD is in Clinical Psychology my BA is in Literature with an emphasis on Old English and Latin. In 2009, my first entry into brain dynamics was learning Neurofeedback at Camp Pendleton.   Two years ago, I attended my first EEGLAB workshop. As a beginner, I attended the "Beginner" track. During my training I Googled words like stationarity, decibel, wavelet, linear interspersed with scanning abstracts while straining my attention towards the speakers. Yes, I read all recommended papers prior to attending; however, for a non-engineer, the gulf was simply too wide to bridge with an advanced set of papers. We hope our mini-pre gathering with personal attention to key concepts will facilitate your acquisition of knowledge during the main event.

1. The Alpha Theta Center is neither associated with, nor affiliated in any manner with the Swartz Center for Computational Neuroscience (SCCN) within UC San Diego grounds
2. There is NO endorsement by SCCN of the content of our meeting.
3. There is NO endorsement implied by SCCN by the existence of this meeting.
4. There is NO endorsement implied by SCCN of this meeting in accepting post of this notice on the EEGLAB listserv

https://www.alphathetacenter.com/pre-workshop-for-eeglab-workshop/