[Eeglablist] Transferring ICA weights from pruned data to original (moderately cleaned) dataset results in non-smooth activity power spectrum

Arnaud Delorme arno at ucsd.edu
Fri Oct 19 20:36:47 PDT 2018

Dear Amelie,

Without plotting the erpimage with the same scale, it is hard to have a clear idea of the amount of artifacts in the original dataset vs the aggressively pruned dataset. It is true that you original data seems to have strong artifactual transient spikes of activity, which drive the scale into an extreme range (more than 600 microvolt). Maybe these artifacts data should be removed.

And yes, if you run ICA on the pruned data, and apply the decomposition to the original data, you can expect some strong artifact in the original data to remain.
It is difficult to achieve a perfect balance. I personally do not do it this way: I always process the pruned data. However, sometimes I filter the data above 1 or 2 Hz, apply ICA, and then use the ICA components on a less aggressively filtered dataset (at 0.01 Hz for example or no filtering). This is because ICA quality often dramatically increases when you high pass filtering your data. ICA components may be viewed as spacial filter so it is perfectly valid to so - you simply apply some spatial filters on the unfiltered data.

Best wishes,

Arno