[Eeglablist] Interleaving rest with multiple active epochs

Tarik S Bel-Bahar tarikbelbahar at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 13:30:15 PST 2019

Hi John, some brief notes below. If you get to greater clarity on this
point, thanks for sharing back with the list. Cheers!

   - It might be better to show moves relative to rests in a more
   principled manner (just go with published methods in good journals using
   protocols similar to yours (see for example recent Makeig mobile EEG papers)
   - You may have inconsistencies between your (inserted) rests and the
   moves. (In that it's not continuous data, and there will be jumps in the
   data where you've merged the epochs).
   - Please try reviewing published methods and past eeglablist posts
   (googlable) on other ways to baseline the move events.
   - One should be able to build a matrix of new data via script that
   matches EEG.data but has the rest move rest move rest version of the data.
   One would build that via a small script, and then insert as the new
   EEG.data, and then epoch/analyze from there.
   - Alternatively one could loop through a continuous file with the move
   epochs in it, and subtract some baseline or rest from each of the move
   periods, via script.
   - If you haven't, consider the baseline before each move as a possible
   useful period of interest for baselining move effects.
   - Using mergeset in a loop would work as well, if done correctly via
   script

Luck, S. J., & Gaspelin, N. (2017). How to get statistically significant
effects in any ERP experiment (and why you shouldn't). *Psychophysiology*,
*54*(1), 146-157.
Liang, M., Starrett, M. J., & Ekstrom, A. D. (2018). Dissociation of
frontal‐midline delta‐theta and posterior alpha oscillations: A mobile EEG
study. *Psychophysiology*, e13090.