[Eeglablist] Question - EEGLAB calculating GFP vs FFT

Tarik S Bel-Bahar tarikbelbahar at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 12:53:19 PST 2019

Hi Alexander, notes below, best wishes.

   - global field power and FFT (which provides spectral or time-frequency
   metrics) are not the same. GFP is more like a global estimate across all
   channels. FFT is a method to get spectral estimates from a signal (e.g,
   from single channels, or averaged channels, usually some form of
   time-series). In the case of the article you mentioned it seems like GFP
   was computed first, and then a spectral estimate.
   - If you google "eeglablist" + your topic, you can find multiple
   instances of past responses/discussions about GFP in eeglablist. It is easy
   to compute within matlab. However, I don't think there is a GFP function in
   eeglab. Within the eeglab distribution, check out the "ft_globalmeanfield"
   function inside the fieldtrip lite toolbox, which may do the trick for you
   - See also for example GFP ERPLAB function mentioned at link below. See
   documentation for  ERPLAB functions mgfperp.m  pop_ploterps.m
   -
   https://github.com/lucklab/erplab/wiki/EEG-and-ERP-Channel-Operations#example-of-computing-global-field-power
   - You can find out more about GFP and how to compute GFP by reviewing
   articles/tools developed by Lehman, Faber, Britz, Michel, Koenig, and
   others, (e.g., CARTOOL or microstates toolboxes in matlab/eeglab, see
   also brainstorm), all easy to find via Google and/or Google Scholar.
   - Regarding graphics it is possible to get something like the graphics
   in the article you mentioned with matlab and/or eeglab, but you would
   need to compute GFP first (there is a microstate toolbox for eeglab you
   can look into)
   - If you want to replicate exactly the analysis in the article you
   mentioned, consider contacting that team, they may be able to share their
   exact methods/scripts with you.
   - Fyi, great books for EEG beginners are Mike X Cohen's books, and
   Luck's two handbooks, both of which I consider core reading. Both Cohen
   and Luck have extensive materials online that one can review. Also as a
   new user to eeglab, please check out if you haven't had a chance to the
   extensive eeglab wiki and eeglab school videos.
   - Caveat: Note that 2-minutes is a somewhat short period of time per
   participant, but it should be usable, and many groups publish on similar
   brief data.