[Eeglablist] ANOVA permutation test across all channels

Tarik S Bel-Bahar tarikbelbahar at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 18:39:23 PST 2019

Hi Myriam,

For the reviewer it may be useful to also provide at least a half dozen
examples of published precedents (as in a court of law) with some examples
of previously published articles that show that these kinds of stats are
used and generally accepted. Here's a list below of some EEG papers for you
(some of which use ANOVA, and I believe all use some form of permutation
stats) that you can easily find and review via Google Scholar. Eric's
having your cake and eating it too paper looks quite useful in your case.

Perizzolo, V. C., Berchio, C., Moser, D. A., Gomez, C. P., Vital, M.,
Arnautovic, E., ... & Schechter, D. S. (2019). EEG recording during an
emotional face-matching task in children of mothers with interpersonal
violence-related posttraumatic stress disorder. *Psychiatry Research:
Neuroimaging*, *283*, 34-44.

Boring, M. J., Hirshorn, E. A., Li, Y., Ward, M. J., Richardson, R. M.,
Fiez, J. A., & Ghuman, A. S. (2018). The left midfusiform gyrus interacts
with early visual cortex and the anterior temporal lobe to support word
individuation. *bioRxiv*, 411579.

Corsi, M. C., Chavez, M., Schwartz, D., Hugueville, L., Khambhati, A. N.,
Bassett, D. S., & Fallani, F. D. V. (2018). Integrating EEG and MEG Signals
to Improve Motor Imagery Classification in Brain–Computer Interface.
*International
journal of neural systems*, 1850014.

Cruz, G., Burgos, P., Kilborn, K., & Evans, J. J. (2017). Involvement of
the anterior cingulate cortex in time-based prospective memory task
monitoring: An EEG analysis of brain sources using Independent Component
and Measure Projection Analysis. *PloS one*, *12*(9), e0184037.

Olofsson, J. K., Syrjänen, E., Ekström, I., Larsson, M., & Wiens, S.
(2018). “Fast” versus “slow” word integration of visual and olfactory
objects: EEG biomarkers of decision speed variability. *Behavioral
neuroscience*, *132*(6), 587.

Oehrn, C. R., Fell, J., Baumann, C., Rosburg, T., Ludowig, E., Kessler, H.,
... & Axmacher, N. (2018). Direct Electrophysiological Evidence for
Prefrontal Control of Hippocampal Processing during Voluntary
Forgetting. *Current
Biology*, *28*(18), 3016-3022.

del Río, M., Greenlee, M. W., & Volberg, G. (2018). Neural dynamics of
breaking continuous flash suppression. *Neuroimage*, *176*, 277-289.

Misselhorn, J., Friese, U., & Engel, A. K. (2018). Frontal and parietal
alpha oscillations reflect attentional modulation of cross-modal matching.
*bioRxiv*, 477034.

Rochas, V., Rihs, T. A., Rosenberg, N., Landis, T., & Michel, C. M. (2014).
Very early processing of emotional words revealed in temporoparietal
junctions of both hemispheres by EEG and TMS. *Experimental brain research*
, *232*(4), 1267-1281.

Alexandrou, A. M., Saarinen, T., Kujala, J., & Salmelin, R. (2018).
Cortical Tracking of Global and Local Variations of Speech Rhythm during
Connected Natural Speech Perception. *Journal of cognitive neuroscience*,
1-16.

Hardmeier, M., Hatz, F., Bousleiman, H., Schindler, C., Stam, C. J., &
Fuhr, P. (2014). Reproducibility of functional connectivity and graph
measures based on the phase lag index (PLI) and weighted phase lag index
(wPLI) derived from high resolution EEG. *PloS one*, *9*(10), e108648.

Köster, M., Finger, H., Graetz, S., Kater, M., & Gruber, T. (2018).
Theta-gamma coupling binds visual perceptual features in an associative
memory task. *Scientific reports*, *8*(1), 17688.

Winkler, A. M., Webster, M. A., Brooks, J. C., Tracey, I., Smith, S. M., &
Nichols, T. E. (2016). Non‐parametric combination and related permutation
tests for neuroimaging. *Human brain mapping*, *37*(4), 1486-1511.

Fields, E., & Kuperberg, G. R. (2018). Having your cake and eating it too:
Flexibility and power with mass univariate statistics for ERP data.

Mensen, A., Poryazova, R., Huegli, G., Baumann, C. R., Schwartz, S., &
Khatami, R. (2015). The roles of dopamine and hypocretin in reward: A
electroencephalographic study. *PloS one*, *10*(11), e0142432.

Huo, M., Heyvaert, M., Van den Noortgate, W., & Onghena, P. (2010). A
Systematic Review on Randomization and Permutation Tests in the Educational
and Behavioral Sciences. *Measuring Behavior 2010*, *19*, 456.

Perizzolo, V. C., Berchio, C., Moser, D. A., Gomez, C. P., Vital, M.,
Arnautovic, E., ... & Schechter, D. S. (2019). EEG recording during an
emotional face-matching task in children of mothers with interpersonal
violence-related posttraumatic stress disorder. *Psychiatry Research:
Neuroimaging*, *283*, 34-44.

Sonnleitner, A., Treder, M. S., Simon, M., Willmann, S., Ewald, A.,
Buchner, A., & Schrauf, M. (2014). EEG alpha spindles and prolonged brake
reaction times during auditory distraction in an on-road driving
study. *Accident
Analysis & Prevention*, *62*, 110-118.

Cavanagh, J. F., Kumar, P., Mueller, A. A., Richardson, S. P., & Mueen, A.
(2018). Diminished EEG habituation to novel events effectively classifies
Parkinson’s patients. *Clinical Neurophysiology*, *129*(2), 409-418.

Tóth, B., Janacsek, K., Takács, Á., Kóbor, A., Zavecz, Z., & Nemeth, D.
(2017). Dynamics of EEG functional connectivity during statistical
learning. *Neurobiology of learning and memory*, *144*, 216-229.

Hansen, N., Chaieb, L., Derner, M., Hampel, K. G., Elger, C. E., Surges,
R., ... & Fell, J. (2018). Memory encoding‐related anterior hippocampal
potentials are modulated by deep brain stimulation of the entorhinal area.
*Hippocampus*, *28*(1), 12-17.

Pernet, C. R., Chauveau, N., Gaspar, C., & Rousselet, G. A. (2011). LIMO
EEG: a toolbox for hierarchical LInear MOdeling of ElectroEncephaloGraphic
data. *Computational intelligence and neuroscience*, *2011*, 3.

Galán, L., Biscay, R., Rodríguez, J. L., Pérez-Abalo, M. C., & Rodriguez,
R. (1997). Testing topographic differences between event related brain
potentials by using non-parametric combinations of permutation tests.
*Electroencephalography
and clinical Neurophysiology*, *102*(3), 240-247.

Benz, N., Hatz, F., Bousleiman, H., Ehrensperger, M. M., Gschwandtner, U.,
Hardmeier, M., ... & Fuhr, P. (2014). Slowing of EEG background activity in
Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s disease with early cognitive dysfunction.
*Frontiers
in aging neuroscience*, *6*, 314.

Files, B. T., Lawhern, V. J., Ries, A. J., & Marathe, A. R. (2016). A
permutation test for unbalanced paired comparisons of global field
power. *Brain
topography*, *29*(3), 345-357.

Kherad-Pajouh, S., & Renaud, O. (2015). A general permutation approach for
analyzing repeated measures ANOVA and mixed-model designs. *Statistical
Papers*, *56*(4), 947-967.