[Eeglablist] Fix for wrong reference channel location

Arnaud Delorme arno at ucsd.edu
Fri Feb 22 10:27:49 PST 2019

Dear Ryan and others,

Yes, the MNI coordinates in EEGLAB are rotated by 90 degrees when you use the MNI template electrode location file. This is because the convention in EEGLAB is to use the +X axis as the direction for the nose. Historically this did not use to be the case.. The nose direction was not fixed. But the issue is that all functions plotting channels had to know about the nose direction which was not convenient or user friendly. When you use the MNI montage for your electrode locations (look up electrode positions based on labels), it is rotated automatically by 90 degree so nose direction is along +X.

However, this is only for 2-D plotting of electrode. Whenever you plot in 3-D (headplot) or use source localization (dipfit), your electrode location are coregistered with the model (so rotated back to MNI space if you do source localization in the MNI space). This is even done automatically in EEGLAB: When you use your montage for source localization with the MNI brain, it is rotated back to its original MNI space.

So the constraint of using +X as the nose dimension only apply to 2-D plots. I would not rotate back the electrodes to MNI space in EEGLAB as Ryan suggest, because then the scalp topographies will be wrong (as they assume nose in the +X direction).

Best wishes,

Arno