[Eeglablist] ICA and Connectivity On Combined Data From Multiple Subjects

Nathan Sanders nesander at ncsu.edu
Mon Apr 1 12:01:52 PDT 2019

Hey Group,

My understanding based on reading the SCCN wiki is that ICA should be
performed on a per subject (per session) basis. For example, Makoto's
preprocessing pipeline says that "To apply a single ICA, your subject
cannot take off the electrode cap!
<https://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/Makoto%27s_preprocessing_pipeline#General_tips_for_performing_ICA_.2806.2F26.2F2018_updated.29>".
However, one approach to group connectivity analysis that I have run across
involves first combining data sets from all subjects, then performing ICA
on the aggregate data. This doesn't seem right to me, but I am having a
hard time articulating why, mostly because I am new to the field and still
only have a basic understanding of how ICA works. Can anyone speak to the
validity of applying ICA to combined data sets? Can you recommend any
papers to help me understand?

Thanks,

Nathan