[Eeglablist] Resampling "artefacts" 512-500 Hz

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Fri Jul 12 20:06:53 PDT 2019

Dear Annika,

Currently I have no idea how it happened, but as a general guess I would
doubt whether it is some kind of aliasing. If you send the data to Andreas,
please send it to me as well.

I agree with Ryan on general argument that having the same sampling rate
does not guarantee synchronicity between the two data streams. You need to
have common timestamps generated by a common mechanism. Lab streaming layer
(LSL) is a solution for this kind of situation. If you haven't checked it,
this is the link to start with
https://github.com/sccn/labstreaminglayer/wiki

Makoto

On Mon, Jul 8, 2019 at 8:35 AM Downey, Ryan J <RDowney at bme.ufl.edu> wrote:

> Annika,
>
> I just wanted to give a brief comment about low pass filtering to avoid
> aliasing before suggesting an alternative to resampling your EEG data.
>
> Low pass filters do in fact prevent aliasing but that is mostly only true
> for low pass filters applied during the data collection (analog circuits
> built into the amplifiers). As soon as you digitally sample the data, the
> aliasing has already occurred and it is too late for low pass filtering to
> be effective (high frequencies are already falsely appearing as low
> frequencies so using a filter to get rid of high frequencies doesn't help).
> So for example if you recorded at 1000 Hz sampling frequency and there was
> 4000 Hz noise that wasn't analog filtered at the time of collection, that
> 4000 Hz noise signal will persist in your digitally sampled data as low
> frequencies. Usually manufacturers have a low pass filter applied during
> data collection already, whether you are aware of it or not. Someimtes you
> can manipulate the parameters and sometimes not. The cut off frequency is
> typically set to 1/4 the sampling frequency). Note that no filters
> perfectly (100%) reject data in a specified frequency range so some
> aliasing may still occur but usually not much. The frequencies closest to
> the cut off are the ones most likely to slip by.
>
> The only case I can think of where applying a digital low pass filter
> (i.e. processing your data after it is recorded) would help remove aliasing
> is in the case of down sampling. For example if your raw data is recorded
> at 1000 Hz, it contains frequencies up to 500 Hz and if you want to down
> sample to say 200 Hz, then all the frequency content from 100 Hz (1/2 of
> 200) to 500 Hz (1/2 of 1000) needs to be removed BEFORE resampling.
> Thankfully EEGLAB automatically does this for you when you ask it to
> resample. Just remember that the low pass filter it applies can't really
> remove aliasing that already exists on your raw data. Technically speaking
> you could strongly filter the data to remove it, but you would have to know
> the frequency at which the aliasing is appearing and that would have to not
> also coincide with a frequency you are interested in (e.g. alpha in your
> data).
>
> Note that resampling the EEG signal from 512 to 500 Hz so it matches with
> your eye tracking 500 Hz data may not be the best approach. Even if you
> were able to resample your EEG data to 500 Hz without these artifacts,
> rarely do systems actually record at the sampling frequency they claim. For
> example, even if your EEG recorded at 500 Hz and your eye tracking recorded
> at 500 Hz, there is no guarantee they will line up. One system might
> actually record at 500.01 Hz and another at 499.99 Hz. If you just assume
> they both recorded at 500 Hz perfectly, then there will be a drift in their
> alignment over time; the longer your recording is, the worse the alignment
> [...]

Assistant Project Scientist, Swartz Center for Computational Neuroscience