[Eeglablist] Resampling "artefacts" 512-500 Hz

Downey, Ryan J RDowney at bme.ufl.edu
Mon Jul 8 07:29:34 PDT 2019

Annika,

I just wanted to give a brief comment about low pass filtering to avoid aliasing before suggesting an alternative to resampling your EEG data.

Low pass filters do in fact prevent aliasing but that is mostly only true for low pass filters applied during the data collection (analog circuits built into the amplifiers). As soon as you digitally sample the data, the aliasing has already occurred and it is too late for low pass filtering to be effective (high frequencies are already falsely appearing as low frequencies so using a filter to get rid of high frequencies doesn't help). So for example if you recorded at 1000 Hz sampling frequency and there was 4000 Hz noise that wasn't analog filtered at the time of collection, that 4000 Hz noise signal will persist in your digitally sampled data as low frequencies. Usually manufacturers have a low pass filter applied during data collection already, whether you are aware of it or not. Someimtes you can manipulate the parameters and sometimes not. The cut off frequency is typically set to 1/4 the sampling frequency). Note that no filters perfectly (100%) reject data in a specified frequency range so some aliasing may still occur but usually not much. The frequencies closest to the cut off are the ones most likely to slip by.

The only case I can think of where applying a digital low pass filter (i.e. processing your data after it is recorded) would help remove aliasing is in the case of down sampling. For example if your raw data is recorded at 1000 Hz, it contains frequencies up to 500 Hz and if you want to down sample to say 200 Hz, then all the frequency content from 100 Hz (1/2 of 200) to 500 Hz (1/2 of 1000) needs to be removed BEFORE resampling. Thankfully EEGLAB automatically does this for you when you ask it to resample. Just remember that the low pass filter it applies can't really remove aliasing that already exists on your raw data. Technically speaking you could strongly filter the data to remove it, but you would have to know the frequency at which the aliasing is appearing and that would have to not also coincide with a frequency you are interested in (e.g. alpha in your data).

Note that resampling the EEG signal from 512 to 500 Hz so it matches with your eye tracking 500 Hz data may not be the best approach. Even if you were able to resample your EEG data to 500 Hz without these artifacts, rarely do systems actually record at the sampling frequency they claim. For example, even if your EEG recorded at 500 Hz and your eye tracking recorded at 500 Hz, there is no guarantee they will line up. One system might actually record at 500.01 Hz and another at 499.99 Hz. If you just assume they both recorded at 500 Hz perfectly, then there will be a drift in their alignment over time; the longer your recording is, the worse the alignment will get. Ideally, you should have a start and a stop trigger signal or event markers common to your EEG and eye tracking system so that you can record these events in their local time systems and then properly align both the beginning and the ending points of the two systems together. Also, if you don't really need to have the eye tracking data and EEG data perfectly synched together (i.e. see their data streams simultaneously) but only need to know eye event timing (e.g.  when someone looked at a target), then you can simply linearly relate the eye tracking time to the EEG time (based on known common start/stop triggers) and then find the closest EEG sample that lines up with an eye tracking event of interest.

Ryan J. Downey
Postdoctoral Associate
Human Neuromechanics Laboratory
Biomedical Engineering Dept.