[Eeglablist] Prestimulus alpha power, inter-stimulus interval jitter

Paul Steinfath steinfath.paul at posteo.de
Tue Aug 20 09:48:11 PDT 2019

Dear all,

I have an experiment where I want to probe two components of working
memory (updating representations vs. maintaining them in a
distractor-restistant way)
I have a task which is desinged to probe these two mechanisms

I want to know what is the relation between pre-stimulus alpha power and
task performance (per condition)

currently the inter-stimulus interval is jittered (2-6 secs)

would you recomment to get rid of the jitter?

There are some papers, where they also use a jitter arguing:
'Temporal jitter between stimuli was used (Luck, 2005) to reduce the
distortion that results from overlapping neural activity between
previous and subsequent stimuli'

or

but doesn't a jitter introduce variability? I would expect alpha power
to go up when then ITI is longer

Curious to hear your opinions on this.

Best,
Paul