[Eeglablist] Statistically determining earliest time point of difference between two single trials

Eric Fields eric.fields at bc.edu
Tue Sep 3 08:13:39 PDT 2019

Hi Kaelasha,

What do you mean by " looking at single trials"? There is really no way to
determine whether or when two individual trials differ, both because signal
to noise is very low in individual trials and because inferential
statistics require multiple trials to get a measure of variability.

If you mean you want to determine when two conditions begin to differ
averaged across trials, this is actually a difficult problem to solve. The
tmax/Fmax approach that Steve suggests will significantly underestimate how
early differences actually begin. See:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/psyp.13468

Simulations suggest that cluster-based procedures may actually give a more
accurate estimate of effect onset, but they do not offer error rate control
for individual time points and don't accurately reflect timecourse in all
situations.

Those approaches consist of calculating a test at every time and seeing
where effects begin. Approaches to obtaining an estimate of onset latency
directly are reviewed by Kiesel et al.:

Kiesel, A., Miller, J., Jolicœur, P., & Brisson, B. (2008). Measurement of
ERP latency differences: A comparison of single-participant and
jackknife-based scoring methods. Psychophysiology, 45(2), 250-274.
https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-8986.2007.00618.x

Eric

-----
Eric Fields, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Fellow
Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience Laboratory
<https://www2.bc.edu/elizabeth-kensinger/>, Boston College
Aging, Culture, and Cognition Laboratory <http://www.brandeis.edu/gutchess/>,
Brandeis University
eric.fields at bc.edu