[Eeglablist] Filters slope

Andreas Widmann widmann at uni-leipzig.de
Mon Sep 16 08:09:58 PDT 2019

Hi Anastasiya,

the EEGLAB included filters are FIR (finite impulse response) filters. FIR filters do not have a slope parameter. For FIR filters the distance between passband and stopband edges is the relevant parameter. This distance is called transition band. The narrower the transition band (i.e., the steeper the roll-off) the higher is the required filter order. The cutoff frequency typically is the midpoint between passband and stopband edge. Report filter order, cutoff frequency and other parameters (e.g., filter or window type) in your manuscript.

Check this publication for a more detailed description:
http://ul.qucosa.de/api/qucosa%3A32715/attachment/ATT-0/

Hope this helps! Best,
Andreas