[Eeglablist] Filters slope

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Tue Sep 17 13:38:09 PDT 2019

Dear Anastasiya,

This is a EEGLAB Wiki page for filter FAQ. The former half of this page
shows the summary of the filter facts I learned from Andreas in private
communication in years ago.
https://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/Firfilt_FAQ

Makoto

On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 8:12 AM Andreas Widmann <widmann at uni-leipzig.de>
wrote:

> Hi Anastasiya,
>
> the EEGLAB included filters are FIR (finite impulse response) filters. FIR
> filters do not have a slope parameter. For FIR filters the distance between
> passband and stopband edges is the relevant parameter. This distance is
> called transition band. The narrower the transition band (i.e., the steeper
> the roll-off) the higher is the required filter order. The cutoff frequency
> typically is the midpoint between passband and stopband edge. Report filter
> order, cutoff frequency and other parameters (e.g., filter or window type)
> in your manuscript.
>
> Check this publication for a more detailed description:
> http://ul.qucosa.de/api/qucosa%3A32715/attachment/ATT-0/
>
> Hope this helps! Best,
> Andreas
>
> > Am 15.09.2019 um 12:27 schrieb anastasiya nekhamkin <
> nehamkin28 at gmail.com>:
> >
> > Hello, Dear all!
> > I`m working on preprocessing my data for PhD thesis.
> > Where and how could I define a slope of filters (low pass and high pass)?
> > Thank you for help!
> > Anastasiya Nehamkin
> > For digest mode, send an email with the subject "set digest mime" to

Assistant Project Scientist, Swartz Center for Computational Neuroscience