[Eeglablist] newtimef() with option baseline NaN: What kind of power values?

Christian Scharinger c.scharinger at gmx.net
Mon Oct 7 04:32:55 PDT 2019

Dear all,

I am wondering what kind of power values I get out of the newtimef() function when I use it to calculate a time-frequency representation with the option 'baseline', NaN. If I understand the description of the function correctly, whith 'baseline' set to NaN I should get a time-frequency representation with no baseline normalization, i.e., I would expect to get absolute power values out of the function. However, when I look at the values in the ersp matrix there are at the higher frequencies some negative power values. Now I'm a little bit confused because I would expect to have only positive numbers when no baseline normalization is performed? Maybe I missed something?
To make it short: What kind of power values does the function newtimef() provide when no baseline is used?

I would be happy to get some clarification on that.

Many thanks in advance,
best wishes
Christian

--