[Eeglablist] ERSP baselining prior to condition comparison

Eric Rawls elrawls at email.uark.edu
Tue Oct 8 20:58:43 PDT 2019

Hi list,

I recently received reviews on a submitted manuscript that calculated the
ERSP using the newtimef function in eeglab, with dB transformation using a
baseline period of [-500 -200]. One of the reviewer comments is a little
concerning to me, based on everything I've read. The reviewer writes
(pasted from review):

"if I understand it correctly theta results are baseline corrected? It
should not be when comparting conditions."

Based on everything I have read and several time-frequency workshop and
courses I've taken, this seems incorrect. I think normally one wouldn't
want to tell a reviewer they are incorrect in as many words, so I'm curious
whether there's something I missed and how those of you experienced in use
of time-frequency analysis might approach this.

Let me know what you think,
Eric Rawls, Ph.D.
NIMH T32 Postdoctoral Fellow
Neuroscience Department, Psychiatry Department
University of Minnesota Medical School