[Eeglablist] ICLabel: "source" explanation of "channel noise" independent components in the absence of obviously bad data?

Scott Burwell burwell at umn.edu
Wed Jan 1 15:42:54 PST 2020

Thanks, Scott, for your response and happy new year to you too.

For background (to the uninitiated), ICLabel returns a row of probabilities
for each component that its source "class" is brain, muscle, eye, heart,
line noise, channel noise, or other non-brain noise. Upon ICLabel returning
source class probabilities for each component, there is a question as to
how to go about filtering one's data to only "brain" components (e.g., for
downstream scalp or source analyses). I have been testing out different
cutoffs for which to keep only "brain" components, but have found this to
feel a bit arbitrary (e.g., keep components with brain probability > .90? >
.75?). So, the approach I've taken lately is to decide a component's class
for which its probability is the greatest (see below code snippet).

EEG = iclabel(EEG);            %run the classifier
sourcetypes = [1 2 3 4 5 6 7]; %brain, muscle, eye, etc.
[~,idx] =
max(EEG.etc.ic_classification.ICLabel.classifications(:,sourcetypes)');
%assign class based on maximum probability
EEG = pop_subcomp(EEG,find(idx==1),0,1); %filter out all non-brain
components

The frequency of each class type returned by ICLabel is:
Value         Count    Percent  eeg_pvaf (range)
Brain            30     50.85%  -0.56 to  2.10%
Muscle           11     18.64%  -0.06 to 22.21%
Eye               2      3.39%   1.24 to 26.29%
Heart             0      0.00%   -
Line noise        0      0.00%   -
Chan noise        3      5.08%   0.13 to  1.42%
Other non-brain  13     22.03%   -0.22 to 0.67%

In this relatively clean looking resting-state dataset, ~50% of components
are classified as "brain," ~19% as "muscle," and ~3% as "eye," which upon
my visual inspection appear to be accurate. Additionally, a substantial
percentage of components are classified as "channel noise" (~5%) and "other
non-brain" (~22%), which I am finding difficult to explain / justify
exclusion of in a manuscript I am writing, especially when the channel data
appear to be clean. The percent variance accounted for by the "channel
noise" and "other non-brain" components is small (<2%), but does not seem
to be substantially different from the percent variance accounted for by
components classified as "brain." Additionally, the time-series /
activations and frequency spectra for the "channel noise" and "other
non-brain" components do not appear to be terribly noisy or different next
to that of some "brain" components.

I have thought about the possibility of only considering a *subset* of
ICLabel columns in deciding their class. E.g., in the above code,
specifying sourcetypes = [1 2 3 4 5], effectively forcing "channel noise"
and "other non-brain" components to be assigned to one of the easier to
interpret classes (i.e., brain, muscle, eye, heart, line noise), but not
sure how this would be received by others.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Warmest regards and a happy new year!
Scott

burwell at umn.edu