[Eeglablist] How to properly dress electrode wires?

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Tue Jan 14 12:08:17 PST 2020

Dear Nathan,

> I've got a 64-electrode setup and the wires look like a rat's nest.

I appreciate this sentence so much that I could not stop myself from
writing to you.

We have 256 channel system which we used for some ambulatory EEG recording
project. Because our system uses flat wires like those used for the old
computers (80 lines per ribbon), ours looked more like a small bush in a
kelp forest. We of course needed to arrange them nicely, so we first built
a backpack with extended arms, handmade using PCV pipes, then wrapped
velcro tapes around it so that tied cables can be temporarily attached to
the arms to be secured. Depending on wiring situation, we found this
special backpack solution is actually also useful for standard sitting
posture on the chair because cables never pulls a cap if we give it enough
amount of slack.

I appreciate you care this cabling issue. Each of these things that is
never written on papers could matter a lot in the real world! This cable
arrangement was also a hidden but big issue in fMRI-EEG recording, I
remember.

Makoto