[Eeglablist] EEG device inquiry

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Thu Jan 16 08:49:04 PST 2020

Dear Arno and David,

> Keep in mind that the amplifier Makoto pointed at on eBay collects data
with 16-bit precision while usually for research purposes it is better to
acquire data with 24-bit precision.

Thank you for your comment. That's a good point. I also have some comment
on it.
The resolution in voltage is not only determined by bit depth but by also
dynamic range since it is (dynamic range)/(bit depth), and dynamic range is
often a trade-offs by bit depth. The manufacturers sometimes
describe resolution in voltage unit, but not always--so you may need to
calculate it by yourself.

In any case though, the bottom line is that every amplifier has
thermal noise floor which is probably practically 1 microV in good cases,
and even larger is electrode contact noise around 3-5 microV. Having too
high resolution relative to this noise floor does not seem to help. See
Huigen (2001) 'Noise characteristics of surface electrodes' you can find it
online.

Makoto