[Eeglablist] Question about ASR and 'availableRAM_GB' parameter

Velu Prabhakar Kumaravel velu.kumaravel at unitn.it
Thu Jan 23 03:07:24 PST 2020

Hi Nastassja,

When you do not fix the 'availableRAM_GB' parameter, everytime you run ASR,
you might see slightly different results. This is because the ASR algorithm
computes the available RAM size to avoid the memory issues during the
computation. For example, if ASR finds only 1 GB of RAM, it will calibrate
its parameters to process the data within that limit.

So, it is always recommended to fix the RAM so that you avoid the
replicability issues. Please note that the available physical memory
changes depending on the current workload.

I am not an expert in ICA but I imagine that when you specified the RAM
size, the algorithm did not remove the artifactual samples (eye blinks) but
instead, reconstructed them. Therefore, you didn't find the related IC
components. The best way to confirm this is to make note of the RAM size
when you do not specify a value for  'availableRAM_GB' to verify if it's
the same value you specified in the other case.

Best,
Velu Prabhakar Kumaravel, PhD Student
Center for Mind/Brain Sciences,
University of Trento, Italy