[Eeglablist] Query on reference during preprocessing (Makoto's processing pipeline)

Malte Anders malteanders at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 00:37:23 PST 2020

Hi Rahman,
If you use 64 electrodes, you can try both, REST and average, and decide
for yourself. There is no "this is the best reference" answer, if there was
something like "this is the best referencing method EVER", we wouldn't need
to fill pages about that question ;).

>From my experience: If you use fixed electrode sites (like linked
earlobes), ERP waveforms and total power will be higher in absolute terms
than if you use average Reference or REST. This can be good (especially
when pointing out ERP waveforms) or bad (higher noise in the raw EEG). REST
and average performed similar in my experiments, so usually I decided to go
with average as the REST integration in EEGLAB has some disadvantages (I
usually have to re-reference every single dataset manually, I haven't found
a way to write scripts).

I hope this doesn't sound rude, but: Please keep in mind that the paper you
linked is from the authors who "invented" the REST reference, and most of
the papers I have read that recommend REST reference are from them. I think
that REST reference is a very good concept, but in your case I'd suggest in
practical terms: collect the data, re-reference to any site you like after
data collection (keep in mind, reference sites can be changed after data
collection as its a linear process, as long as you record in a monopolar
fashion) and choose the one that fits best. If you find any interesting
results between average and REST, publish them in a paper to help other
people.

Those are just my 2 cents, my very subjective opinion!

Malte

Am Fr., 21. Feb. 2020 um 03:53 Uhr schrieb Mahjabeen Rahman <
mahjabeen.rahman at knights.ucf.edu>:

> Hello,
>
> I am a new researcher in the field of EEG. So I found some papers
> recommending not using average reference and using REST (note: this papers
> mainly talked about ERP).  I will do a power spectral analysis. We are
> using a Cognionics Mobile 64 device to collect data during a physical task
> (Isometric exertion).  So what should be my re-referencing method ?
> Initially I was planning for average, but now I got confused with those
> papers. (here's one of them
> https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10548-019-00707-x?shared-article-renderer#ref-CR24
> )
>
> I would really appreciate your suggestions. Thanks.
>
> Mahjabeen Rahman

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Malte Anders