[Eeglablist] Change reference after ICA

Delorme, Arnaud adelorme at ucsd.edu
Thu Mar 5 12:08:09 PST 2020

Dear Haneen,

If you want to compare with the literature, it is always better to use the same reference as what was used in a given article. Change of reference will potentially change the shape (latency/amplitude) of ERPs.

Also, when you reference your data, ICA components will be re-referenced as well, so you do not need to re-run ICA after changing your reference. This assumes that all data channels (including reference(s)) are included in the ICA decomposition. For example, if you do not include linked ears in the ICA decomposition, you cannot re-reference the data to linked ears and assume ICA components will be properly referenced (the function will return an error).

Best wishes,

Arno