[Eeglablist] cz/cpz reference

Clement Lee cll008 at eng.ucsd.edu
Tue Mar 10 12:40:09 PDT 2020

Hi Brian,

Would you link the archived posts from 2016?

Full rank average referencing seems to make most sense here. See
https://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/Makoto's_preprocessing_pipeline#Re-reference_the_data_to_average_.2807.2F18.2F2019_Updated.29
In your Cpz-referenced datasets, if you were to plot the signal
acquired from Cpz, it would simply be a channel of zeroes.
In your Cz-referenced dataset, Cz appears in the EEGLAB montage. Does Cz
contain a series of zeros? It should, because that's what referencing to a
single channel is -- subtraction.

It's counterintuitive that setting Cz as a reference before average
referencing should produce different results than average referencing right
away. Why should referencing be non-reversible? Removing a channel and
interpolating afterwards for referencing purposes (and not noise rejection
purposes) seems wrong too.

Best,
Clement Lee
Applications Programmer
Institute for Neural Computation, UC San Diego
858-822-7535