[Eeglablist] Concatenate data across visits prior to ICA?

Scott Burwell burwell at umn.edu
Mon Mar 23 08:17:02 PDT 2020

Others may want to chime in, but my two cents follow:
1. I think that concatenating runs (e.g., tasks) within a given recording
session for the purposes of ICA is plenty defensible, especially if you
want to compare source activities across resting-state, task, etc. This of
course assumes that the EEG cap placement has not changed within that
session. One thing you might want to consider, if using AMICA, if you want
to allow for multiple models? Presumably, the impact of certain groups of
effective EEG source generators (artifacts and "true" brain sources) change
across different tasks / states, which could be reflected in different
AMICA models (e.g., Hsu, 2018; NeuroImage).
2. I do NOT think that concatenating data across different sessions
would be defensible, unless somehow modeling for differences in cap
placement. One of the main assumptions of an ICA model is that the
underlying source distributions do not change. If your cap placement
changes (e.g., by a few mm in AP and a few mm RL, or more), the
channel-to-source distributions change, causing problems with the model fit
for either data session.

Best,
Scott