[Eeglablist] Blinking noise reject on prefrontal electrodes

Scott Makeig smakeig at gmail.com
Sat May 2 13:50:32 PDT 2020

By 'the blinking noise' I take you to mean eyeblink artifacts. With only
two channels, spatial ICA decomposition can be of little use (though an
*advanced* exploration could be to apply multi-model AMICA decomposition
with many models). You will have to identify the blink events in the data
and remove them -- I might try to locate eyeblinks visually, then average
blink-locked epochs to create a time-locked eyeblink artifact template to
use for automated eyeblink detection and regression.

Scott Makeig

On Fri, May 1, 2020 at 7:47 AM Brigitte Aguilar Gonzales <
aguilarbrigitte277 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm working on characterizing the EEG signal during tasks that involve
> attention. For this I've recorded EEG signals from prefrontal electrodes
> (Fp1 and Fp2), however the blinking noise is an important problem that I
> have not yet been able to solve, since I found that running ICA for this
> particular setup is not recommended, due to the small number of channels. I
> wanted to know if there is someone who is working with similar signals and
> who can guide me since I do not have enough experience working with only
> two electrodes. My goal is to be able to eliminate blinking noise online
> since I need this in the implementation of a BCI for cognitive
> rehabilitation.
>
> Thank you very much in advance for your attention and help.
>
> Brigitte Aguilar
> LIRINS, (Rehabilitation Engineering and Neuro-Sensorial Investigation
> Laboratory) Engineering School of the Universidad Nacional de Entre Ríos

Scott Makeig, Research Scientist and Director, Swartz Center for
Computational Neuroscience, Institute for Neural Computation, University of
California San Diego, La Jolla CA 92093-0559, http://sccn.ucsd.edu/~scott