[Eeglablist] What to do with EOG channels when average re-referencing and ICA decomp.

Maitane Barrenetxea Carrasco mbarrenetxea at mondragon.edu
Mon May 4 10:12:03 PDT 2020

Very dear EEGLab-list,

I am currently working on a dataset with 128 EEG channels + 4 EOG channels
(2 vertical + 2 horizontal) and a nose-tip reference for all channels.
I have doubts regarding the EOG channels when re-referencing and
decomposing the data with ICA.

When re-referencing the data to average, I have originally excluded the EOG
channels, as this would propagate the EOG artifact through the rest of the
channels. Hence, the 128 EEG electrodes are average referenced, and the EOG
channels are referenced to the original reference (nose-tip). When
subsequently decomposing the data using ICA for artifact removal, I am
unsure as to whether I should include the EOG channels in the decomposition
as they don't share the same reference as the rest of the data. If I
exclude them, will ICA still be able to isolate the EOG components?

If I want to include them in the ICA decomposition, should I also include
them in the average re-reference (even if this will propagate the EOG
artifact through the whole dataset)?

Thank you very much in advance,

Maitane

--
[image: logo_berria] Maitane Barrenechea Carrasco (PhD)
Biomedikoa - BIO