[Eeglablist] Double precision

Rogene Eichler West, Ph.D. rogene at brainhealthnorthwest.com
Mon May 11 11:59:50 PDT 2020

Hi Stephen,

There isn’t any literature that compares directly LORETA to surface outcomes, so most feedback will be anecdotal. (Bob Thatcher of Neuroguide would have you think otherwise, but he is also the guy that thinks using ICA is unethical…)

We use LORETA-based ROI protocols because it helps us to conceptualize treatment and because of the (likely faulty) belief that we are being more accurate in targeting a specific region.

About 70% of our clients train full cap LORETA either BrainAvatar or NeuroGuide. About 5% Alpha-Theta at PZ, 5% bipolar montage on the surface, and about 20% ILF typically T3-T4.

The conceptualization comes from 1) symptoms 2) raw data/surface analysis 3) z-score surface maps 4) LORETA.

Ex. if the symptoms/history point to PTSD, then I am looking for surface markers at T5/T6 and I may choose to address those first to minimize bipolar placement T5-Cz (or T6-Cz). After good progress (10 – 15 sessions), I will then target what is dysregulated according to LORETA (amygdala, hippocampus, insula, BA 40, 47). Then when we are nearing the end of the treatment, I will train salience/default/executive networks.

Having said that, given the pandemic, we are converting over to home training using the New Mind system, which is based on a 2 channel amp.

Happy to meet by Zoom and demo either software for you – or anyone on this list.

This is my clinic: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://brainhealthnorthwest.com/__;!!Mih3wA!VcLczEN2Eb3usn63FiVrtBZMotkKvjULS7mYSH8NMfELomC_5UEGVQVYJzU7vdw_K6fylA$