[Eeglablist] ICA and dipfit questions

Beach, Paul Anthony paul.anthony.beach at emory.edu
Tue May 5 11:50:43 PDT 2020

EEGLAB gurus,

I have two general questions that have been nagging at me for a while.

**First
When it comes to setting up ICA, I have seen many recommend including all channels (including auxiliary, nonEEG channels like EKG) in the prompt. Per Makoto’s (very very useful) pipeline page it states to do so “as long as they share the initial reference electrode with scalp electrodes.” I’m not clear if this is with respect to how the raw data are collected or whether you apply a common reference upon importing into EEGLAB (such as I have to do since I use a Biosemi system).

I ask because I utilize ICA to remove, among other things, cardiac field artifact (CFA) and pulse artifacts in order to get a look at heartbeat evoked potentials. ICA obviously models the EKG traces very well as individual components, but I am not confident that removing these helps remove confounds like the CFA.

**Second
Makoto’s pipeline recommends after ICA running DIPFIT and then fitting bilateral dipoles with their own respective plugins. However, I see that the dipfit GUI has a selection box for fitting bilateral dipoles. Is this using the “fit bilateral dipoles” plugin, but within the context of DIPFIT? This would be really helpful because, when one runs the “fit bilateral dipoles” plugin EEGLAB closes out and does not reopen all datasets that were held in memory (pretty annoying).

Thanks!
Paul
--
Paul Beach DO, PhD