[Eeglablist] Seeking comments for draft of protocol for reducing COVID-19 transmission risk in EEG research

Steven J Luck sjluck at ucdavis.edu
Fri May 29 11:38:35 PDT 2020

Depending on your location, it may be possible to resume EEG research soon. But you may be wondering how to perform EEG recordings safely before the COVID-19 pandemic has ended.

We are therefore creating a protocol for reducing COVID-19 transmission risk in EEG research. Our goal is to reduce the risks so that they are comparable to the risks people will face in their daily lives (e.g., when visiting the grocery store or getting a haircut).

A draft protocol is now available for public comment. We have already consulted with several neurologists who have experience with clinical EEG recordings. We are now seeking feedback from the worldwide EEG community.

If you have useful suggestions for improvement, please leave a comment on our web site by June 5. But please read the whole protocol first.

You can access the protocol and leave comments here: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://erpinfo.org/blog/2020/5/27/covid-protocol-draft__;!!Mih3wA!SSmJxj9DZJorX7Lc0uoC9c_C9BNaZNMAu50zlvCq01nYqg2So-l9sN92OASm0jdkyBrKFQ$ . Please do not send comments via email.

We will then create an updated protocol and make it available freely on Protocol Exchange<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://protocolexchange.researchsquare.com/__;!!Mih3wA!SSmJxj9DZJorX7Lc0uoC9c_C9BNaZNMAu50zlvCq01nYqg2So-l9sN92OASm0jcz6QqPpw$ >  You can then adapt this protocol to reflect your local conditions and regulatory environment.

Note that this protocol is for research, not for clinical practice. The current version is for adult subjects who do not exhibit any COVID-19 symptoms. But it would be a good starting point for research with other populations.

We are not implying that you should resume EEG recordings at this time. This depend on your local conditions and the rules imposed by your institution and your local, regional, and national governing bodies.

However, once it is ethical and allowable for you to resume research, we hope that this protocol will help you conduct your research in a way that is safe for both laboratory personnel and research participants.

Steven J. Luck, Ph.D.
Distinguished Professor, Department of Psychology<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://psychology.ucdavis.edu/__;!!Mih3wA!SSmJxj9DZJorX7Lc0uoC9c_C9BNaZNMAu50zlvCq01nYqg2So-l9sN92OASm0jdyLkNCug$ >
Core Faculty, Center for Mind & Brain<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://mindbrain.ucdavis.edu__;!!Mih3wA!SSmJxj9DZJorX7Lc0uoC9c_C9BNaZNMAu50zlvCq01nYqg2So-l9sN92OASm0jf3uw--tA$ >
University of California, Davis