[Eeglablist] Re-referencing/rank/ICA

Ivonne Weyers ivonne.weyers at uni-osnabrueck.de
Tue Jun 30 02:34:24 PDT 2020

Dear all,

I have a question regarding rank computation before ICA. So far, I have
been using the built in MATLAB function rank(), but it has now returned
weird results (as has been talked about here
<https://sccn.ucsd.edu/pipermail/eeglablist/2012/004670.html>), which is
why I would simply like to specify rank individually for each data set
in the pca option. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could
confirm my following reasoning for the rank adjustment.

My data have been recorded from 28 channels with average reference, 27
of which will enter the ICA (the monopolar EOG channel is excluded- yes,
I could also include it). The 27 channels have been re-ferenced to
average mastoids (TP9, TP10- is it correct to include these in the ICA
at all?). For some subjects, a maximum of two channels have been
interpolated.

So my question is: if 27 channels enter the ICA, rank would be 26 for
datasets without any interpolated channels (deficient by 1 due to
re-referencing) and 26 - (number of interpolated channels) for those
with interpolations?

Thank you & best,

Ivonne

--
Ivonne Weyers, M.A.
Research Group Psycho- and Neurolinguistics

Phone: +49 (0) 541-969-2247
e-mail: ivonne.weyers at uni-osnabrueck.de