[Eeglablist] common mode sense (CMS)

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Thu Jul 9 13:24:53 PDT 2020

Dear Mary,

If you have no preference, just use average referencing. This is the
easiest and good enough. In doing so, including the initial reference (all
zeros) will make it perfect. But default EEGLAB option does not do this for
you, if I remember correctly. It's not a big deal if you can't do it. You
just lose data rank by one, which does not hurt very much in many cases.
https://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/Makoto%27s_preprocessing_pipeline#Why_should_we_add_zero-filled_channel_before_average_referencing.3F_.2803.2F04.2F2020_Updated.29

If you are confident with signal processing and linear algebra, 'infinity'
reference (Yao, 2001) is an alternative choice.

Makoto